WHAT IS TORREFIED WOOD?
Torrefacation is a process in which kiln dried wood is super heated to approximately 400 degrees in the absence of oxygen, which prevents combustion. This process ultimately changes the molecular structure of the wood from open to closed cell, reducing the moisture content to near 0%. The wood is then conditioned by by moisture being re-introduced through steam injection.
This process results in a rich, dark hue with color ranging from golden to dark brown in addition to enhancing the natural grain.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Torrefied Poplar and Red Oak are both suitable for many exterior applications, offering benefits not obtainable with traditional kiln dried products.
- Significantly increased dimensional stability
- Less likely to shrink, swell, warp, or twist
- Rot/mold resistant
- Insect resistant
- Enhanced grain and rich color, similar to Walnut
- Color is consistent throughout each piece – from face to center!
WHAT PRODUCTS ARE OFFERED?
Currently, the following products are stocked in torrefied Red Oak and Poplar:
- 3/4″ thick S4S in standard widths from 3-1/2″ through 11-1/4″, in 8′, 10′ & 12′ lengths
- 1″ x 5-1/2″ S4S in 8′, 10′ & 12′ lengths
- 3/4″ x 5″ (face) QRK/TVG wall and ceiling covering
Additional items, including exterior doors are available by special order!